Saturday, August 15, 2009

happy living things

Some verses almost learn themselves, while others take many repetitions. These two came easily:

Oh happy living things! no tongue
Their beauty might declare:
A spring of love gushed in my heart
And I blessed them unaware:
Sure my kind saint took pity on me,
And blessed them unaware.

That self-same moment I could pray;
And from my neck so free
The Albatross fell off, and sank
Like lead into the sea.

What a basic lesson – it's not about you. Our natural inclination is to care about ourselves almost to the exclusion of others. So it takes a constantly renewed effort to care for others, to see another's point of view. This is for our sakes as much as for theirs.

In the early morning at Woomera, we saw these birds flocking on trees and screeching in that very Australian way. They were happy living things, for sure. And our hearts lifted to see them.


No comments: